Melt in your mouth sugar cookies. Substitute peppermint extract for an especially delicious cookie. I make these every Christmas and they are usually gone within a few days. You can add colored sprinkles to the sugar at the end of the process to give the cookies a festive look. Makes about 48 cookies.
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Sticks of Butter
- 1 Cup Minus 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp Lemon, Vanilla or Peppermint Extract
- 4 Cups Flour
- Combine all ingredients except for flour in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Slowly mix in flour until well combined.
- Refrigerate mixture for at least 2 hours.
- Create 1 inch balls of dough and arrange on a cookie sheet.
- Using the flat bottom of a tumbler glass, dip the bottom of the glass first into sugar and then use it to smash down the dough balls till they are about 1.5 inches in diameter and about 1/2 inch tall. more or less. Repeat to flatten all the balls.
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes or until outer edge of cookie is light golden brown.