Chicken Wild Rice Soup. (6 to 8 servings)
- 2 average-sized chicken breasts, cooked and diced (1 “Dolly Parton”)
- 2/3 cup wild rice, cooked (about 45 mins), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 5 strips of bacon, cooked until crisp and broken into bits
- Soup base:
- 3 TBS butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups diced fresh mushrooms
- 3 TBS flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cream (1/2 & 1/2)
Sauté onions and celery in butter for about 5 mins. Add mushrooms and sauté for about 5 more mins. Stir in flour and cook about 5 more mins checking to make sure it doesn’t brown too much. Slowly stir in broth. Simmer for about 15 mins.
You can prepare all the ingredients ahead of time. About an hour before you are ready to serve, bring the soup base to a low boil and stir in chicken and rice. Right before serving, stir in bacon almonds and cream. Heat through.
Disclaimer: I really don’t measure when I cook, so please use your own judgement! These measurements are my best estimates!
This recipe is courtesy of Martha Best, whom this site is dedicated to.